Firefighters rescued a dog from a Walnut Street home Monday morning after an accidental single-alarm fire heavily damaged a third-story apartment. No one was injured in the blaze.
Firefighters responded to 160 Walnut St. at 8:22 a.m. for reports of a fire in the house’s upper apartment. They put out the fire by 9:10 a.m. and rescued a dog in the house, but the fire caused about $75,000 worth of smoke, fire and water damage to the building, according to Deputy Chief Bruce Proia. Most of the damage was confined to the third floor.
“It was a quick notification and a fast response,” Proia said. “We got it knocked down quick; the men did a good job.”
The fire was caused by someone leaving a stovetop on, Proia said.